The MD Permit to Carry a Handgun (HPTC) consists of a minimum of 8 hours of MD Firearm Safety Training by a MD Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor for RENEWAL and a minimum of 16 hours of MD Firearm Safety Training for INITIAL APPLICANTS. The HPTC includes classroom and range qualification, and satisfies the requisite minimum requirements set forth by the Maryland Department of State Police for persons applying to renew a MD Handgun Permit License:
- Overview State and Federal Firearm Law
- Overview Home Firearm Safety
- Practical Handgun Mechanisms and Operation
- Safe Handgun Proficiency and Use Demonstration
- Live Fire Range Qualification
- Each course participant will receive frame quality MSP Course Completion and MSP Range Qualification Score Certification, and Full Text of Current “MD SENATE BILL 281 Firearm Safety Act of 2013” on CD.
In addition to standard course materials NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home/Defensive Pistol Shooting student course materials are included in every initial MSP Wear and Carry/CCW course offered.
Safety & Shooting skill development is integrated into every phase of your training.
Instruction on safety shall be integrated into every phase of the training.
For Designated Security Personnel/Private Investigation/Special Police:
Must qualify on a practical police course as approved by the Secretary. The shooting component shall be at least 50 rounds and an applicant shall not be required to fire in excess of 25 yards during qualification.
For Other than Security Professional Course:
Must qualify on a course of fire approved by the Maryland State Police and requires the proficient firing of at least 25 rounds and an applicant shall not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualification.
Live Fire Component:
The applicant fires live ammunition and obtains a qualifying score of 70 percent as prescribed by the Secretary. Live fire range shooting qualification is conducted at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, which is .02 miles from IOTA’s Training Center. Instruction on safety shall be integrated into every phase of the training.
You may bring your own qualifying handgun as long as it/they is/are in good operating condition, for your personal use. If you do not own a firearm the following additional fees shall be required upon arrival once you determine the qualifying caliber: IOTA Handgun Rental fee which includes (.38/.3357/9MM/.40/) Ammunition fee is $30.
All participants shall receive a Handgun Permit Training Certificate of Completion and Qualification Score Sheet issued by the MDSP Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor. The submission of the Handgun Permit Training Certificate shall constitute verification that the applicant satisfactorily completed a Handgun Permit Training Course.
This course also satisfies the MDSP Handgun Qualification License required to purchase a regulated firearm, effective October 1, 2013. To apply for the HQL, you’ll need a second set of Livescan fingerprints, plus remit a permit fee of $50 online to the MSP. The HQL is valid for 10 years.
Participants are asked to bring:
- A Positive Attitude
- Qualifying Pistol (optional/rental available)
- 30-60 Ammunition Rounds (quantity includes five practice rounds)
- Women: No scoop neck tops/tees. Discharged cartridges are HOT.
- Baseball cap for head protection and comfortable clothing appropriate for climate and conditions
- Eye/ear protection (optional/provided)
- Lunch, light snacks, beverages and bottled water is provided for proper hydration.
For everyone’s safety, we ask that you adhere to the following:
- No loaded firearms or live ammunition shall be allowed in the classroom.
- Keep all required course equipment locked in your vehicle, until specific guidelines are provided by the Instructor. No loaded firearms or live ammunition shall be allowed in the classroom at any time.
- Avoid taking any over-the-counter or prescribed allergy/cold medicines on the day of the course, as normal mental or physical bodily functions are likely to be impaired.
- Horseplay is NOT acceptable behavior in class or on the range, as each attendee has the opportunity to enjoy a day of uninterrupted course presentation and engaged participation.
View Course Registration and Payment for: