Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
- Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
- Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from DNR and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
- Is currently a qualified handgun Instructor.
- Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
- Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
- Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
In accordance with the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, individuals who are voluntarily admitted to an inpatient psychiatric facility (either state, private or acute general), for a period of 30 consecutive days or more, or involuntarily certified and retained by an Administrative Law Judge may have to surrender their firearms and will be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm unless an individual is granted relief from firearm disqualification. DHMH makes available to persons who are prohibited from possessing certain firearms a process to apply for relief from these prohibitions.
How to Apply
The Handgun Qualification License application is accessible online through MyLicense. For access please click HERE.
To apply for an HQL the law requires a fingerprint based background check click HERE. You cannot submit your application until this is completed, unless you already possess as Maryland Wear and Carry Permit.
Within 3 years prior to the submission of an HQL application, an applicant must demonstrate a satisfactory completion of a Firearms Safety Training Course. Qualified Handgun Instructors can be found online (here). The Firearms Safety Training Course must be instructed by a Qualified Handgun Instructor, and shall consist of a minimum of 4 hours of instruction and include the following minimum curricula:
- State Firearm Law. Overview of the State firearm laws, including discussion of what constitutes a regulated firearm, how to properly purchase or transfer a firearm, where allowed to carry or transport a firearm, when necessary to possess a carry permit, who is prohibited from possessing firearms, and state law relating to minors, permissible levels of force, and use of deadly force.
- Home Firearm Safety. Overview of handgun and firearm safety in the home, including discussion of access to minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices, such as secure lock boxes.
- Handgun Mechanisms and Operation. Overview of the proper operation and safe handling of a handgun, including cleaning and maintenance, the loading and unloading of ammunition, and the differences between revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.
- Operation and Handling Demonstration. Orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, to include a “live fire” component in which the applicant safely shoots the weapon. An applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications.
Handgun Qualification License “HQL” Course Exempt Services Include:
- Livescan Fingerprinting
- MSP HQL Online Application Assistance
- Scanning, Uploading Required Proof of Exemption Documents
- Total Cost $75
Unless otherwise posted, to serve you better, we’re available Tuesday through Sunday. Please call 410-750-3278 for an appointment to confirm your time slot and avoid long waiting lines.